Friday, August 24, 2012

Let's Take a Trip to Ralph??

Homeschooling is frought with emotions. Some days are good, other days not so good.  Any homeschool parent will tell you this, so keep in mind that not everyday will run like a well oiled machine.  But then there is the funny. And my kids never cease to bring the funny, even when they aren't trying.

Yesterday I was working with Makiah on United States geography.  She has a map section in each social studies unit. We were working on the East coast and a few midwest (everything east of the Mississippi river) states and capitals. I walked away to help Daniel with what he was doing on the computer, and this is what I hear coming from the living room:

Makiah: "Richmond, Charleston, Columbia, Tallahassee, Ralph, Jackson, Montegomery. . . ."

My ears perked up to the Ralph throw in the middle of the capitals.  I finished up with Daniel, looked at Sam and his math and there she went again, eyes closed. . . .

"Montpelier, Concord, Boston, Ralph, Columbia, Dover. . . "

I abandoned the idea of heading to the kitchen to start lunch to see what in the world she was studying that involved Ralph, but before I got there it hit me, and I started to giggle.  Raleigh.  Raleigh, North Carolina.  Instead of it being Ral-ee, she was saying it as Ralph. Well, she looked at me as if I had flipped a cog and I explained why I was laughing. She started laughing and looked at me and said, 

"Mom, that is so decepting."

I decided to head for the kitchen, after I corrected her and told her it was deceiving. Then I went and had a nice little chuckle. 

I agree with her, the English language is decepting. ~Wink~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments, suggestions or ideas~~but remember to always be kind and use your inside voice. Please and Thank you.